Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TZ: Mr. Denton on Doomsday



As the episode opens, we see that this story will take place in the old west. *Sigh*. Now, don't get me wrong, I try to be open-minded when it comes to episodes and movies set in unique places and locations, but the setting isn't interesting to me at all. Sci-Fi episodes set in the old west can actually be entertaining and worthwhile if done properly, Star Trek: The Next Generation's "A fistful of Datas" comes to mind, but I've never been a huge fan of the wild west genre.

Like I said, if this episode was done well I would not be complaining about this too much, but I really had a tough time caring about the plot. I'll try to keep this brief so I don't sound like I'm droning on about this and getting nowhere. So, a washed-up gunslinger named Al Denton is encountered by Henry J. Fate, who wants to give him another chance. Fate(that's a subtle pun, huh?) offers Denton a potion that he claims will make him the fastest gunslinger in the West for ten seconds.

Denton agrees, and takes a swig of the potion before he is about to face Pete Grant, a young gunslinger. But, he sees that Pete Grant has done the same, and they both shoot each other in the hand. They will both now be unable to fire a gun again, and Denton tells his opponent that they have both been blessed because they will never again be able to fire a gun in aggression.


So, the message is there, but you sort of have to be a fan of the genre in order for the episode to have a resounding impact. The actors are entertaining to watch, but the episode didn't really work for me.

Score: 5

Best Quote: "Because, you see, Fate can work that way...in the Twilight Zone."

Best Moment: Denton and Grant shooting each other in the hand.

Cheesy 60s Moment: There isn't one that particularly sticks out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment